Custom Search
Review Shadow's Far-Out Corner of the Web at Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

Sunday, January 4, 2009

2009 Has Arrived

It's been more than awhile since I've posted and I think that's rather unacceptable. In my defence, my computer has been running slowly and my browser has been hardly running at all. Today I decided to blow a little steam and play around with "StumbleUpon". I was quite disappointed to discover my "Stumble" button was no longer working, although the rest of the toolbar worked fine (if you are unfamiliar with StumbleUpon, I recommend checking it out - it's channel surfing for the web!). That was the last straw - I caved and installed the latest version of Firefox and updated to the latest version of StumbleUpon... and was left to wonder why I had not done this sooner! Not only did my "Stumble" button work once more, I was once again able to access messages in my Hotmail inbox and function normally within Facebook... I don't use many other sites daily (what an exciting lifestyle I lead), so after spending a great deal of time fighting with those sites each day, I didn't much feel like blogging... or even logging into Blogger and opening the editor.

Today, however, things change. During the past few weeks I decided I want to, and should, continue to blog; after some of the discoveries I made today, I decided I have no excuse to not blog.

What discoveries have I made, you ask?

Epic discoveries... and by epic discoveries, I mean the mothers of all discoveries... the discoveries that make our browsing lives just a little easier (okay... a LOT easier)...

I discovered Firefox Add-Ons. If you use Firefox, these plugins can truly enrich your browsing experience. If you do not use Firefox, you should click here to see what you're missing and download yourself a new browser... one that, unlike Internet Explorer, doesn't leave you as open to viruses and irritatingly intrusive
ads... and, I swear, runs faster. Up until the last year, I was never much of a computer person... aside from looking stuff up on Google, checking my e-mail and playing with photoshop, I couldn't be bothered. Sure, I went through a few years in juniour high and high school where my life was spent in a chat room, but I never cared to 'optimize' my performance. Even after I discovered Firefox, I couldn't be bothered to glance at the add-ons. Now I'm kicking myself in the ass for spending so much time fighting with my computer when my browsing life could have been made much easier.

Over time I'll highlight some of these fantastic add-ons (as many are actually services available outside of Firefox). But, not today... today you're probably still wondering about the discovery I made that makes it harder for me to avoid blogging. You've probably guessed that it's one of the add-ons I've just been gushing about... and you're right. The add-on is called "ScribeFire". ScribeFire is an add-on for Firefox that allows you to update your blog, from your browser, no matter what site you're on at the moment. In fact, you can even surf the web while you're blogging (and if you're anything like me, you'll find that that a very useful feature as it can be a bit of a pain to bring up multiple windows so you can try to find information you need for a post you're typing at that moment). There is, apparently, an option to use ads to gain revenue (I would assume it is much like Google Adsense)... I am not trying the feature, but if you have a lot of traffic, it might be worth checking out. What I appreciate is that I am able to use the service without inserting their ads. I also appreciate the ease of use. Although I've finally developed a stronger interest in new technology than ever before, I have not developed an aptitude for such. When it comes to computer, I live by the K.I.S.S. philosophy.

So, I leave you with wishes for all the best in 2009 and a promise that I will continue to (try to) provide you with entertainment. :-)


1 comment:

Da Old Man said...

I am so happy to see you blogging. Been missing your take on things, and that unique brand of humor.