Custom Search
Review Shadow's Far-Out Corner of the Web at Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Racism, sexism, and ageism, oh my!

Sarah Palin.

I am beginning to get considerably sick of that name (I'm sure you all are, too!) I must admit, I haven't been following politics very closely as of late (I'd rather not wake up every day feeling pissed off with the world). I won't try to remain objective; I think Sarah Palin is an idiot. But, this is not a political blog and I am not a person who has a really extensive knowledge of politics, so I'm not going to discuss my views on actual politics. So, what I've noticed with all this talk about Palin, is that we are really, really, really primitive.

As I said, I haven't really been following politics (in the sense of policy... and really, I can't vote in the U.S. election anyway, so there isn't a whole lot of point). I have, however, taken notice of the attitudes towards this election. We claim to be evolved... an intelligent species even. Yet when we're presented with a chance to control (to some degree) the very issues we pretend are important to us (e.g., taxes, childcare, healthcare), we sweep it all under a shroud and everything becomes a big jumbled mess of racism, sexism, and ageism. What does this have to do with Sarah Palin (other than the fact that she's been a huge target of sexism during this campaign)? Nothing much, really... but the constant media exposure she's had has been what made me think about this a bit more.

Is there hope for us? Will we always find something to be prejudiced towards? There has been massive outrage over any racist commentary or imagery against Barack Obama... so there's one step in the right direction... but what about sexism and ageism? Aside from flat-out sexist remarks (e.g., "bitch"), we don't seem too bothered by the fact that Hilary Clinton's and Sarah Palin's abilities have been judged largely by their gender. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to question the fact that Sarah Palin has children at home... I mean, really, can't her husband watch the kids? And ageism? Well, that theory may as well not even exist... virtually no one seems upset by the comments made against John McCain... speculation on if he'll be able to stay awake during meetings or if he's wearing adult diapers... 'cause apparently anyone over the age of 50 can't stay awake for more than a couple of hours at a time... and Depends are a major political issue.

Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone seen where people are beginning to combat the constant barrage of ageism and sexism (I left out racism, not because I don't think it's an issue, but because it's [thankfully] an issue we actually seem to be taking seriously now)?

What do you think???

5 comments:

Da Old Man said...

You hit the nail on the head. Policy seems second nature to these political campaigns. Issues don't matter. How someone looks is more important than how they think. Palin is too good looking, Hillary is too pants suitish. Oy vey.
About the only thing more annoying is tacking "Gate" onto every single scandal. Trooper gate?

Lucy from Hoeno said...

I wish we'd focus on Sarah Palin's policies-like making rape victims pay for their own rape kit at up to 1,000-1,200 dollars a pop but people will make fun of her with MILF AND GILF remarks. Of course, since she's a joke, it's not going to bother me much that they treat her like one.

As for McCain, yeah they make jokes about his age but is it really out of the question to wonder if he's up to it at his age? The way the white house can take its toll on presidents and age them rapidly (Bush has the brains of a 311-year-old). The demands and the VP that he's going with mean maybe we should question his faculties. Seriously, Palin has a huge chance of taking over for McCain at some point if he gets in. I was just reading about him seeming almost senile during a very strange interview he gave. I don't know, maybe I'm biased (Democrat). I don't want a senile man with an army. Senility sneaks up on you. I can't remember why or what blog I'm on or-wait-what was I saying?

pmp certification said...

well i am not sure why theu appointed palin

Dollface said...

Many feminist blogs, including my own, have combated the sexism against Palin to a certain extent. For me, it's her policies that really scare me.

However, you do raise a good point. Policy issues have been often swept under the table in favor of judging candidates based on gender, race, age, religion, and so on. The misinformation is rampant on both sides (although I would say that the McCain campaign has put forth much more troubling false information than the Obama camp).

In this day and age, it would be nice to say that racism/sexism are things of the past, but they aren't. We have seen sexism and racism in this campaign and it would be great if we could stick to discussing the candidate's policies, not their personal characters and attributes.

Great post.

sexyrextwentysex said...

yo dawg

i feel u

sarah palin is proliferating the stereotpye of the dumb white woman

she's just a republican walking piece of ass that would prob just be a puppet if elected