Custom Search
Review Shadow's Far-Out Corner of the Web at Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

Monday, August 18, 2008

(Mis)Fortune Cookies

Keeping with this year's Olympic theme, I decided to order some Chinese food for dinner on Friday night. Okay, I'll be honest... I have not watched a single Olympic event, or even read/watched any news to do with this year's Olympics (and not because I'm protesting... I seriously just don't give a sweet darn... are they over yet??). I simply was not feeling well and did not feel like cooking.

Bring a vegetarian, I went to the only Chinese restaurant in town that offers something more than plain fried rice (okay, so there is another restaurant, but I didn't feel like forking over $20 for a bit of fried rice with mixed vegetables and poorly cooked plain chunks of tofu). Of course, dinner still cost an arm and a leg... so to top it all off, I added a fortune cookie to the bill. Not feeling well, I was able to rationalise such an extravagancy; I needed a pick-me-up.

Now of course, I can't hold my hand on my ass. We live in a world of personal television and internet access, so I have come to appreciate (and rely on) instant gratification. In other words, I tore into that fortune cookie before I even glanced at my dinner. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered the fortune cookie contained no fortune. Seriously, who would fork over $0.75 for a stale, crappy cookie if it didn't have that tiny slip of paper inside? Actually, why would anyone fork over $0.75 for someone's $0.02 worth? I certainly began to wonder what it might mean to discover a fortuneless fortune cookie when you're coming down with a cold. Should I be worried? (for anyone who is concerned, I'm feeling MUCH better now!)

Although the cookie was a let-down, the meal was most excellent (even though, or possibly because, I couldn't taste it).

Have you ever had a bad fortune cookie experience?

Have you laughed at any of this? If so, drop by www.humor-blogs.com to vote for your favourite posts and visit some hilarious blogs.

6 comments:

Howard Bannister said...

Awww...Pobrecita!

The Olympics ain't so bad! I've been liveblogging them over the past few weeks, and the opportunities for snarky commentary are abundant!

Keep up the good blogging!

Da Old Man said...

I'm with you on the Olympics. For the most part, it's like one giant episode of David Letterman's Stupid Human Tricks.
Fortuneless cookies? 75 cents is a lot. Here, they come with every meal, free.
Great. Now I really, really want Chinese food for dinner.
MMMM. Cold sesame noodles.

margaret said...

I got a fortune that I taped to my keyboard at work because it was so awesome, so prescient, so uber-fantastic. Are you sitting down? It said:
"It is a nice day."

Joey said...

Found your blog. Enjoy reading what you have to say. That's all! =)

Miss_Corrine said...

Awww, ripped OFF! Why would they make a fortune cookie with no fortune?! Haha!

Ms. O. D. said...

the same thing happened to me at a family dinner when i was younger, opened up the cookie and i was ohso upset, until my father said to me "no fortune is good fortune!" :) since then i've had the opportunity of saying this now twice to other people... No fortune is (also) good fortune!